Module 1 & 2 Test for Full Motorbike Licences - Camrider (2024)


0800 387 198

Select a location

Select a training location below:

  • Nearest me
  • Bedford
  • Cambridge
  • Corby / Kettering
  • Harleston Diss
  • Harlow
  • Ipswich
  • London – Lee Valley
  • Norwich
  • Peterborough
  • Warwick

Module 1 & 2 Test for Full Motorbike Licences - Camrider (2)

Module 1 & 2 Tests

See information about the Module 1 and Module 2 tests.

Previous: Training Syllabus

The two-module motorbike test

The current format of motorbike testing takes place across two modules:

Module 1 certificate linked to theory certificate

On module 1 you will be asked to do some specific manoeuvres that have to be at minimum speeds of 50kph or 30kph. There is also some slow riding to be tested, a u-turn, emergency braking and exercises showing you can control your bike.

It takes place in a safe off-road environment, allowing you to be tested at set speeds on trickier manoeuvres.

When you pass module 1 you will be given a pass certificate you need to keep. The module 1 certificate is linked to your theory test certificate so make sure you pass the next module before your theory test runs out.

Module 2 is on road

This is very similar to the old-style test where you are followed by an examiner with a radio link between you.

This module is recommended to be taken about 10 days later on from Module 1. The reason being that if you have Module 1 & 2 booked close together and you fail the first part for any reason, then the DVSA will not allow your Module 2 to go ahead and they will not refund the fee.This is why it is safer to split the two modules by about 10 days.

Minimum Ages

  • 17+ to take a 125cc motorcycle test
  • 19+ to take a 46bhp restricted test
  • 24+ to take a Direct Access unlimited power/cc test (or have passed an A2 test two years earlier)

Module 1 key features:

Required documents for module 1:

  • CBT certificate
  • Theory test pass certificate
  • UK licence photocard

What else is needed?

  • Module one test fee – £15.50
  • Suitable safe riding gear
  • Test compliant and road legal motorcycle
  • Ability to read a number plate at 20m
  • Based at DVSA regional test centres
  • Large off-road tarmac area
  • 50 Kph (32 Mph) swerve manoeuvre
  • 50 Kph (32 Mph) emergency stop
  • Slow riding exercise
  • Slalom
  • Figure of eight
  • Wheel machine backwards
  • On/off stand
  • U-turn

Module 2 key features:

Required documents for module 2:

  • CBT certificate
  • Theory test pass certificate
  • UK licence photocard
  • Module 1 pass certificate

What else is needed?

  • Module two test fee – £75 on weekdays; £88.50 evenings, weekends and bank holidays
  • Suitable safe riding gear
  • Test compliant and road legal motorcycle
  • Ability to read number plate at 20m
  • Starts from a DVSA test centre
  • Has an eyesight check
  • ‘Show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions
  • Road riding
  • Independent riding
  • You are followed by an examiner with a radio link between you – they just give you directions

The examiner will ask you to take certain riding manoeuvres

  • Pulling away / pulling in
  • Positioning
  • Right and left turns
  • Roundabouts
  • Box junctions
  • Freeride
  • Controlled braking
  • Use of mirrors
  • Use of speed
  • Separation gaps

The examiner will make a note of:

  • Dangerous faults – these involve actual danger to you, the examiner, the public or property
  • Serious faults – these are potentially dangerous
  • Riding faults – these are not potentially dangerous but could become serious if you keep making the same mistake

You’ll pass module 2 if you make:

  • No serious or dangerous faults (sometimes called ‘majors’)
  • No more than 10 riding faults (sometimes called ‘minors’)

Questions and Answers

What documents will i need?

  • CBT certificate – this is also called a DL196.
  • Motorcycle theory test pass certificate.
  • Module 1 Pass certificate if attending at module 2
  • UK Provisional driving licence – we need to see the original the plastic photocard – or an old-style paper licence with a valid UK passport.
  • Most customers will use our fully insured and well-maintained motorcycles. This is the simplest and most cost-effective manner to learn and take the test.
    However, if using your own bike you should take insurance documents and MOT certificate should it need one. The Logbook V5 will assist if the examiner is unsure if it meets minimum vehicle requirements.

What protective clothing will I need?

  • As a general guide, the following is an indication of the minimum level of clothing acceptable:
  • CE approved motorcycle helmet
  • Motorcycle boots
  • Sturdy footwear or boots that provide support and ankle protection
  • Textile or leather motorcycle trousers
  • Heavy denim trousers
  • Heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath
  • Textile or leather motorcycle jacket
  • Motorcycle gloves

    The following are examples of clothing that are not acceptable:

  • Lightweight training shoes
  • Canvas running trainers
  • Any form of clothing with areas of exposed skin
  • Shell suit or lightweight tracksuits
  • Distressed ripped jeans
  • Lightweight fleece or hoody
  • No gloves or skiing gloves

    In all cases, it’s a legal requirement that riders wear an approved and correctly fastened motorcycle helmet with suitable eye protection (an exception is made for members of the Sikh religion wearing a turban).

Is the module 1 test hard to pass?

We have taken thousands of real-life pupils to the actual tests conducted by the DVSA. We found that candidates passed easily with some instruction first. In fact, pupils can and do pass module one after just CBT and 3 additional sessions of riding instruction from us, even though they may never have ridden before!

The module 1 test is making riders think about how safe they can be on the road and really helps a candidate focus on the exercises that can’t safely be tested on the road.

What happens if I fail module 1?

You have to leave a gap of three clear working days in order for you to take more training so you can pass on the next attempt. The lead time to book module 1 tests is often much more.

You can’t progress to module 2 until you have passed module 1. If you have booked the modules to be on consecutive days or you are unable to give Camrider 10 clear working days notice of cancellation then, unfortunately, you won’t be able to sit the module 2 and you will have lost your DVSA fee! Also if you have booked a lesson with an instructor to take you to test then this still needs to go ahead as just a training lesson without the test.

We recommend leaving a 10 working day gap between your module 1 and 2 tests, so should you need to re-sit then there is no problem with rescheduling. It’s ok to book consecutively if this is what you really want. We need riders to understand the implications of not passing module 1 with a module 2 booked too close afterwards and there not being sufficient cancellation notice.

What happens if I fail module 2?

If you fail module 2 then you apply to re-sit just that element.The DVSA policy is that you need to leave 10 clear working days before the next test to allow you time to take more training.

Remember that your module 1 pass certificate is linked to your theory test certificate. If your theory test expires then you will need to re-sit both the theory test and the module one test.

How much does test or retest cost?

We hope you won’t need a re-test – but if you do…

Module 1£15.50
Module 2£75 (Mon to Fri)
Module 2 (Saturday)£88.50 (Where offered – it is not at all common)

The cost of a test session/ lesson with bike and instructor depends on your local Camrider site.

You will need to book an instructor to give you additional instruction and to accompany you to the test centre. Our customer advisers help you through the process and we pre-book tests and retests for you so life is easier and more convenient. Do remember Camrider has a pass rate exceeding 91%, so we hope this talk of re-tests is not going to be needed!

What special exercises take place on the module 1 test?

  • At least two exercises carried out at slow speed, including a slalom
  • At least two exercises carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 kph
  • One exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 kph
  • At least two braking exercises, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 kph
Module 1 & 2 Test for Full Motorbike Licences - Camrider (3)

Motorcycle Manoeuvring Right Circuit

  1. On and off the stand
  2. Wheel the motorbike
  3. Slalom
  4. Figure of eight
  5. 30kph/ 19mph circuit ride
  6. 50kph/ 32mph avoidance
  7. Controlled stop
  8. U-turn
  9. Slow ride
  10. 30kph/ 19mph circuit ride
  11. 50kph/ 32mph emergency track

For all mopeds, speed requirements are 30kph/ 19mph

The diagrams show the proposed layout of the manoeuvring area. On the day of the test, candidates will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate their riding ability on either a left-hand or right-hand circuit.

Previous: Training Syllabus

Module 1 & 2 Test for Full Motorbike Licences - Camrider (4)

  • Sign in
  • New account

Forgot your password?

Back to login

Module 1 & 2 Test for Full Motorbike Licences - Camrider (2024)


What is module 1 and 2 for a bike test? ›

After you've passed your theory test you'll also need to pass: an off-road riding test (known as the 'module 1 test') an on-road riding test (known as the 'module 2 test')

What is a Module 2 test for motorcycles? ›

The Module 2 Motorcycle Test consists entirely of riding on the road being followed by a DVSA examiner and lasts around 35 minutes. 10 minutes of the test involves riding independently – for example, following road signs to a specific destination.

What is the pass rate for the module 1 bike test? ›

Nationally, the latest figures show that 73.2% of riders pass their 'Module 1' test – the off-road section that must be passed before moving on to the main 'Module 2' part – and that 71.1% of Module 2 tests are passed.

What is the difference between A1 and A2 motorcycle test? ›

An A1 licence is what you get if you pass CBT, theory test and the two-part practical test between ages 17-19 and an A2 licence is what you get passing CBT, theory and both practical tests between 19-24 years of age.

How much is a mod 1 and mod 2? ›

How much is a motorcycle practical test? The practical test is split into two modules. Module one costs £15.50 and module two costs £75 (£88.50 on evenings, weekends and bank holidays). An extended test for disqualified riders (on-road) costs £150 or £177 outside of a weekday.

How long does a Module 1 test take? ›

You'll take the module 1 test in an off-road motorcycle manoeuvring area. The test normally takes about 20 minutes and includes: wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand. riding a slalom and figure of 8.

Is it hard to pass mod 2? ›

Some say the Mod 2 is easy

Although it is perceived as the easier of the two motorcycle tests by some, the test itself can bring its own problems. Because most riders have already passed their car test, this on-road test is downplayed by many riders who have a full licence.

How to pass module 2? ›

To pass Module 2, avoid any serious or dangerous faults (majors) and limit riding faults (minors) to no more than 10. If you pass, you'll receive your certificate immediately, granting you the freedom to ride any motorcycle you desire. If you don't succeed, don't be discouraged.

How long is the Mod 2 motorcycle test? ›

The module 2 test normally takes about 40 minutes and includes: an eyesight check. 'show me, tell me' vehicle safety questions. road riding.

Can I hire a bike for Mod 1 test? ›

To summarise, all of our Module 1 Test Day course's include the following: Up to 2 hours pre-test training. Bike hire* (Please note A2 & DAS Tests are ONLY AVAILABLE on manual bikes.

Can I ride my bike to a Mod 1 test? ›

Yes you can use your own bike for the test provided you have all the legal requirements in place (insurance, tax, MOT etc). However, as you won't have a motorcycle licence at this stage, you would be resonsible for getting the machine to and from the DVSA test centre. (without riding it on the public roads).

How far apart are the cones for module 1 bike test? ›

The Motorcycle Test

The slalom cones are 4.5 metres apart which means you have to concentrate, then straight into the figure-of-eight, which is even more challenging.

Can I ride a 600cc on an A2 licence? ›

A2 Motorcycle Licence

What you can ride: Any sized bike but must be restricted to no more than 35Kw (47bhp) and a power to weight ratio of no more than 0.2 Kw. You can carry passengers and ride on motorways. Typically any motorcycle under 500cc.

Do I need my own bike for A2 test? ›

The way I understand it, the only test you can take on your own bike is the A1, as you can legally ride a 125 without an A1 licence. It's theoretically possible to take the A2 and A tests on your own bike, but the difficulty of getting insurance means that it's next to impossible, or at least crazy expensive.

How fast does a 125cc go? ›

The average 125cc bike will likely have a top speed of around 70mph, and should be able to cruise along at 50 to 60mph quite comfortably.

What is the difference between module 1 and 2? ›

Module 1 is where the emergency stop and U-turn (as well as other slow and higher speed manoeuvres) are done off road. The Module 2 is almost exactly the same as the old motorcycle test but without the U-turn and emergency stop.

What is mod1 and mod2? ›

For each one you have to do module 1 (off-road manoeuvres) and module 2 (on-road riding under supervision). If you don't already hold a licence in a lower category you need to do a written theory test and complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course before you take the full test.

How to pass MOD 2 bike test? ›

To pass Module 2, avoid any serious or dangerous faults (majors) and limit riding faults (minors) to no more than 10. If you pass, you'll receive your certificate immediately, granting you the freedom to ride any motorcycle you desire. If you don't succeed, don't be discouraged.

What bike can you ride on mod 1? ›

Minimum Ages
  • 17+ to take a 125cc motorcycle test.
  • 19+ to take a 46bhp restricted test.
  • 24+ to take a Direct Access unlimited power/cc test (or have passed an A2 test two years earlier)

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Prof. Nancy Dach

Last Updated:

Views: 6259

Rating: 4.7 / 5 (77 voted)

Reviews: 84% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Prof. Nancy Dach

Birthday: 1993-08-23

Address: 569 Waelchi Ports, South Blainebury, LA 11589

Phone: +9958996486049

Job: Sales Manager

Hobby: Web surfing, Scuba diving, Mountaineering, Writing, Sailing, Dance, Blacksmithing

Introduction: My name is Prof. Nancy Dach, I am a lively, joyous, courageous, lovely, tender, charming, open person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.